Thursday, August 12, 2010

Help, I'm Hyper-sensitive


On occasion I go through a hyper-sensitive frame of mind, where absolutely everything bugs me. I can't even stand myself during this period. It’s not easy to reign in these feelings, that cause me to react to common stimuli so negatively. Often, I resort to slamming doors, verbal innuendos and throwing things. Normally, the same irritants are ignored or unseen. You could say my 'annoyance radar' is fairly low most of the time.

When I'm 'hyper-so-sensitive' little scraps of paper/string etc. on the floor, the common counter clutter, a caller that talks slowly on the phone, my mother repeating the same phrase for the fourth time and so on make me crazy. Driving becomes more frustrating, if the car I’m following isn’t going fast enough, its a clunker or an old style, I'll change lanes. I want it out of my sight. My mild mannered hubby can irritate me, if he doesn’t remember to do his chores, forgets to help out more or does some other minor infraction.

What causes this 'Out of my mind' feeling? Stress, temporary depression, lack of or disrupted sleep, trying to do more than is humanly possible. Having guests over also removes the blinders I have of my home's condition. It opens my eyes to every ugly detail, thus become keen to distractions.

It only lasts for a few days. Deep breathing, exercise, sleeping pills and self-talk get me out of this funk. I'm little Miss 'Go With the Flow' the rest of the time, or not! It all depends on the external forces.

No comments:

Post a Comment