Friday, September 17, 2010

Bean There, Missed That




Our bumper crop of pole beans has resulted in an overflow on every shelf in the refrigerator. No one asks, 'What's on the menu?' because they know it is green beans, zucchini, carrots or cucumbers. No complaining here since fresh veggies are in season for maybe ninety days of the year. Some produce is given to neighbors and family with a craving for the home grown.

Daily pickings and double searching to get every last bean in its prime is a must. It's a game of 'Hide and Seek' with some beans seeming invisible amongst the leaves. Others ones shouting, 'pick me first', like we did in school for the afternoon Phys-Ed ball game. If I find them grown to 'huge' portions the next day, I marvel how they could have been missed. Production slows when they are ignored and left on the vine.

It's clearly a game of 'I Spy', then I eat. Yum! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment