Friday, June 24, 2011

Birthday's Best


Well another birthday has come and gone. It was a good day, with lots of well wishers via phone, Facebook, mail and in person. Allan gave me a sleek new camera small enough to pack around 24/7. Thank you. A Bonus Birthday.

Thinking back to other birthdays I remember ones such as:
One year I awoke up at 4:30 to watch the sunrise from a lounge chair on the back lawn. A Beat the Sun Birthday.

I got a brand new Schwinn two wheeler for my twelfth birthday. We were inseparable for years until it wore out. At sixteen a bright red Wilson tennis racket was waiting for me. I gave it to the grandkids last year. A Biking Birthday.

For my twentieth birthday brother, Jim, gave me some ice skates. I still have them, but the padded lining has turned hard and powdery. Smiley face drinking glasses showed up about the same time, thanks to a good friend. A Bought Stuff Birthday.

At twenty-one I got an engaged. The ring was hidden in the glove box. We got married in September. A Big Future Birthday.

Ten years ago I tried roller blading and broke my wrist. Later that day the car broke down and we had to hitch a ride home after seeing the movie, Mulan. We spent all evening in the ER. A Bummer Birthday.

I'm lucky enough to have a good weather birthdate. Except for about five years ago when it rained all day, most have been - Balmy with Blue Skies Birthdays.

When my birthday was on Sunday several years ago, there was no hiking, biking or shopping. I was able to nap and gave a lesson at church. A Behave Yourself Birthday.

Sometimes I have tried to cram so much into this one day, it would bomb and I regretted doing so. I've had several Bombed Birthdays.

Allan reminded me I was as old as he is now. Prior to that, I was excited for the 'Big' day. In the words of Tiny Tim, "Happy Birthday, Everyone!"

No comments:

Post a Comment