Wednesday, May 19, 2010

In the Interim


I met Margaret a few years ago when I was trying to get to know all of the women on my Relief Society list. Many I had never heard and did not want any contact with the Church. Margaret didn't live in our ward boundaries, but was listed as living at her sister's home near me. With her care center address, I started to see this single little, lady on a monthly basis.

We became friends due to Margaret's loving nature. She was moved from one care center to another, until an apartment opened up at Legacy House Care Center nearby. Befriending her with consistent visits was easy.

Luck would have it when Allan & I were assigned as home teachers to some residents of Legacy, Margaret was one of the families we were given. With most of our grandchildren living out of state & extra time on our hands, we were able to accept this church calling.

How fun it is to go beyond that stiff feeling with meeting strangers to holding a special place in your heart for them. We continue to find ways to be friends.

Serving others always makes us feel better. If you are feeling lonely, climb out of your shell and go find a person that needs a friend. It's not as hard as it seems & twice as rewarding as chocolate or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment