Wednesday, January 26, 2011

'R'

After reading and enjoying the book, 'Fast Food Nation' by Eric Schlosser, I wanted to see the movie about it. Thinking it would follow the many facts introduced in the book, I didn't notice the rating it had. It only took a few minutes to discover it was R rated. I don't watch R rated movies and have found after they come to TV, it is a good rule to have.

Unlike the excellent book the movie was filled with foul language and disgusting scenes. Disjointed and repulsive, I should have turned it off at the first 'F' word. Hoping it would get better, I watched the whole movie 100+ 'F' words and all.

I felt defiled and disgusted. Unpleasant pictures and words keep marching through my mind. Disappointed that my self-will wasn't stronger like many other times, when I stopped a movie at the first insult and sent it back.

The next day while reading 1 Nephi 17: 30-40, I was surprised how many 'R' words jumped out at me. 'Redeemer, received, raiseth a righteous, resteth and rod' promised hope for my mistakes. While on the other hand 'revile, rejected my word and ripe in iniquity' reminded me of the 'R' movie.

I knew it could be forgotten and I'd be forgiven, then move forward more cautiously the next time, trying not to trust in the arm of flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment