Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Simmer in Silence or Settling the Score


I blew my top last night after sweeping up a mess left in the garage and hauling in a heavy roll of plastic from the back yard that had been left out in the rain. "I'm Not Your Mother!" sounded like music to my ears as I shouted to my hubby, Al. I was irritated and let him know it rather than stew and simmer in silence, my customary reaction to his abandoned messes.

What caused it? Maybe I have the 'Eight Year Itch' or just tired of picking up after this 'Big Boy'. Indeed it felt good to just get the load off my mind, instead of harboring thoughts of anger and frustration while he is clueless. I am only hurting myself and losing sleep for naught. Nagging is not in my nature.

An article a few years ago said, leave those jobs undone, if you must. They (meaning the person the job belongs to) will see the mess piling up and eventually take responsibility. NOT!!! The person that owns the job, more often than not, is blind to it. A job chart, lost priveleges, reminders, nagging or saying it like it are other ways to success. Bottomline, someone has to do the work of keeping a place clean.

Time will tell if he remembers 'Mom' is not gonna clean up his messes. I will keep track and see if silence or speaking my mind serves best. A smiley face will say it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment