Wednesday, October 27, 2010

'Gourd' geous Growth




Take a minute to enjoy
The ‘gourd-geous’ colors of fall.

I’ll be thinking of you
while you’re out having a ball.

The beauty won’t last long
No, not at all.

Go now with your friends, family or just give me a call.

Instead of giving pumpkin cookies to friends and neighbors, I typed up this catchy poem, attached it to a gangly or multi colored parcel and shared with them.

Growing gourds can take over your whole yard but the rewards are worth it. I planted some dried seeds from a bumpy, colorful gourd I bought at the store last year and saved over the winter. In the spring while looking for something, I spied the dried item and decided to throw some in the ground.

I planted some in good soil, others in clay soil and so on in various spots in my yard. They all seemed to grow where they were planted, no matter the amount of water or soil they we in. I netted about 100 gourds from three areas. As you can see in the photo, one plant took over my front flower and bush garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment