Saturday, February 20, 2016

Up Where the Air is Clear

The valley has been cold and polluted all week long. Above it all the skies are blue and the air clear. I grabbed my skis and went up to enjoy the morning in Millcreek Canyon. I haven't made it up there since last year, so I was a bit shaky on the skis at first. When there's snow in the valley, I ski in the parks and along the Jordan River.
But today, it's the canyon to test my skills. The snow was icy and slippery, but up, up I traveled. Some guys along the way, asked if I wanted them to take a picture. I said, No, but then, changed my mind and they snapped a few. I was even upright. In fact, I didn't even fall once. Not to say that I didn't come close a time or two. Instead, taking it really slow and easy, onward I trekked, stopping now and then to look at the blue, blue sky. Who needs a broken bone at my age? There were more dogs than people, but we all got along great.
I made it to the top where the outhouse sits, many trails converge and road veers to the right. I snapped a selfie, with the trail sign in the background. The last section to the top, was really steep and few hikers got that far. I chickened out and took my skiis off before going down, because of the icy conditions and knew I couldn't make it without a tumble or two. At a safe spot the skis went back on and I flew the rest of the way down.
"Time to go up where the air is clear, To breathe and ski. It was dear. What a lovely day and time to cheer. Because, better weather is very near." It felt better than if I had flown a kite, up where the air is clear, because the atmosphere was amazing. Maybe you should try it, but go early. It gets really busy after noon and parking is scarce.

No comments:

Post a Comment