Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sun-Keeping Sunday Sacred


Sunday is a free day, in that we don't have the pressures of housework, employment, school etc. It's a day set aside to worship the Lord. How easy it is to get sidetracked from that goal. Temptations such as the Sunday paper, a book we're reading, internet, tv, small jobs we've neglected or not noticed all seem to shout, "Pick me! I'm next!' How hard it is to turn away from them.

Subtley Satan tries to distract us, before we pick up the scriptures or Church magazines. Asking Heavenly Father to remind us what the Sabbaths purpose is, makes all the difference. He encourages us to stay the course and by being obedient we are rewarded.

A ten years ago I broke the Sabbath, by going to a Garth Brooks concert. After standing in line five hours, Breann got the only tickets left. They were for Sunday. I was back & forth about going, but in the end decided to do it. I called it, premeditated Sabbath breaking. It was a miserable experience. Not only did I hate the concert, but saw several young people that knew me. What kind of example was I to them?

That year was a bad one, with mishaps & challenges. Finally, I realized if I repented and set a goal to keep the Sabbath day holy in every possible way, blessings would come. After fasting & prayer, peace & happiness came.

Since then keeping Sunday sacred has been a tremendous gift. Sure I mess up, but try, try again to follow Jesus example.

No comments:

Post a Comment