Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tues-Treats or Not, Take your Pick


Time to buy those treats for Halloween night. Every year I start early watching the sales stockpiling my favorites. Usually several bags are consumed before the blessed night of doorbell ringing, jack-o-lanterns & ghosty goblins shouting 'Trick or treat'. Don't wait until the last minute when nothing's on sale & the best stuff is gone.

I have to admit, I love candy. Our house is never void of it, in case a craving needs satisfying. Fruit & veggies are given the first chance, but when they are ineffective I go straight for the sweets.

Get it when prices are right to maintain a hearty variety. A few pieces bounce around in my purse, car & desk 24/7. ‘Just one!’ is my rule, unless it’s M&M’s, Smarties or Skittles, then I nibble all day long. Who knows how much it adds up to?

I’m particular about what I buy. Why get the yucky stuff? As a kid, my faves were Jaw breakers, Smarties & Tootsie Rolls. Big Hunk & Payday’s ruled in my teen years. With a houseful of children we had gummy bears, Starburst & Snickers. I steer clear of gum drops, taffy & hard tack due to over exposure from my Mom. Who can resist the newer kids on the block, Peanut butter M&Ms, Rolo & Twix.

One year Breann & Alicia decided to go candy free. THE WHOLE YEAR!! Friends were getting $100 from their parents by doing it. They hoped to get the same reward. It didn't happen. I was amazed at their will power. I was proud they fulfilled their goal knowing the prize was in the accomplishment, not the bribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment