Thursday, May 9, 2013

Falling Asleep on Four

My latest sleep aid happened by accident, while sitting in the Gospel Doctrine class one Sunday.  The teacher mentioned the curse of waking up in the middle of the night and the battle of getting back to sleep.  My ears perked up.  Her remedy was to recite The Articles of Faith.   That's one I hadn't tried.

Now to recall the once memorized thirteen articles.  "We believe..." 

Five were still there, but the other eight a tossed salad of jumbled words.  I remembered snippets such as the key word 'hands', the Bible, and the gathering of Israel.  It couldn't be hard to 'sharpen the saw' by getting them in order and description.  One Sunday morning I did just that, turning to the last page of the Pearl of Great Price.  Quickly they qued up correctly.  Instead of using the key words, I used a simpler method until they were clear in my mind. 

I then put it to the test at 3am one night, with a mental recitation.  Sure enough, it worked!  Most nights since applying this process from #1 to 13 and back again, I drift off.  More often than not, I'm asleep before completing #4.  It doesn't always happen that fast, but I love getting more zzz's now. 

"We believe the first principles and ordinances of the gospel are, first..." fall asleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment