Friday, June 19, 2009

Fri-For Father's Full of Expectation


In a recent conversation with a friend about expectations not being met, I was surprised when she admitted that she had none, therefore; she was never disappointed. I know the word, 'assume' makes an 'ass out of u & me' or so a college instructor taught. But, expectation is knowing the job will be done according to how you've planned or want it.

Every day as a child my dad expected me to carry my part of the load, by doing my chores, being a helpful family member and performing as asked. His example helped me to expect alot of myself and others. I'm grateful for this gift.

Don't we have expectations in setting standards, achieving goals and in pushing ourselves? Responsibility is a form of expectation. Isn't it a part of proving you can do something or follow through to your best ability? It's earned by dependability and performance. Without it trust is compromised.

DJ Gregory, was born with cerebral palsy and not much was expected of his life. His father decided otherwise. Having faith in DJ, his father encouraged him to try everything. He's become famous for setting high standards for himself.

"If you have a dream, go after it. Don't let anyone say you can't do something." DJ Gregory. This is his 'long walk not toward perfection, but possibility. A walk beyond measurement." ESPN

Please take a few minutes to watch this 11 minute video. It is sensational.

If you ever had a dream or if you have never had a dream, please watch...

http://vodpod.com/watch/1165857-walk-on-espn-video

May we all choose to rise above what we are capable of & achieve beyond the improbable. Thanks to every father (Or mother) that taught us to want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment