Monday, June 15, 2009

Monday-Make a List & Check With Him Twice


Early Saturday I made a "To Do" list, because I wanted to get alot done. I included Al’s jobs on it, to ensure he did the most important items. He started in on the first one before 8 am. I was excited to say the least. Taking a break after job #1, I didn’t want to nag for fear of souring him on the rest, so I let him be.

I mentioned one of the jobs three hours into the break. He shrugged his shoulders and went to the garage. After lunch he was reading/napping on the deck. What’s the deal I thought as I raced from laundry to scrubbing to vacuuming? My frustrations began spilling out of my mouth in ‘I need help here’ negativisms.

Finally at 5pm he offered to help vacuum. ‘This is my job!’
‘Why don’t you do one of yours on the list?’ I asked.
‘What list? Where?’
‘The one on the table, I wrote it up this morning.’
‘I didn’t know there was a list. Why didn’t you tell me?’
‘I thought you knew!’ I named several jobs, some of which he immediately went to work on.

Granted, I should have shown him the 'List'. He's good to do the things I ask. Why do I have to make a list? He’s a big boy. I’m not his mother.

Does he not see the bushes need trimming, tree branches cut, garage cleaned and so on? It leaves me irritated and too tired for closeness when this happens. How hard is it for him to ask what needs to be done, instead of me having to ask him? The jobs don’t go away if we don’t think about them, they just get more unruly, along with my disposition.

He missed the 'List' should I be Pissed?

No comments:

Post a Comment