Friday, September 11, 2009

Fri: Fleeing the Unfriendly Foe


Sunday I was released as the Relief Society president after serving for 45 months. It carries with it a special protection or mantle, as they refer to it. In order to be worthy of this position, I spent lots of time praying, scripture reading & being worthy of the Spirit. Often as challenges loomed I was reminded how to respond, doing as I felt best.

At first it was difficult to see myself in this leadership position. Gradually it became easier to make decisions, be in the lime light & ‘lead the pack’ so to speak. Overtime as I felt the support & companionship of the sisters & the Holy Ghost, the work was fulfilling. ‘Would a Relief Society President do that?’ Questions like these helped me make better choices. I took advantage of the power in everything I did, to capitalize on the blessings it gave me.

After the new Relief Society president was sustained, we began singing the Sacrament hymn. Soon, I felt a significant draining of the spirit. It went from the top of my head down to my toes. Was this the mantle that many previous leaders had told me, I would feel leave?

Have you ever been washing dishes and accidently pulled the stopper out. The water drains away so fast there isn’t time to grab it & plug the hole up before it’s all gone. This is the feeling I had. It was bittersweet, but I knew it was going to a worthy sister.

A few days later when frustrations came, I began to swear and lost my patience. It happened many times. Before each outburst I was subtly reminded, “You’re not the president anymore. Do what you want!” So I did, but was ashamed of my actions. I recognized it was Satan, trying to sink his negative thoughts into this fresh soil.

No! I said. I won’t let this happen. Praying for help that night, I asked to have the Holy Ghost guide me through these times. He did & is. Hopefully I'll continue to be aware, when Satan tries to kick me in the butt. I'll say a quick prayer, asking Heavenly Father to help me fight this unfriendly foe.

No comments:

Post a Comment