Friday, July 3, 2009

Friday-Fly the Flag for 4th of July on the 3rd


I love to see the flag and remember what each stripe and star stand for. Colonies, states, sacrifices made for freedom become real on holidays. Stores that fly the flag have become legion and are appreciated for their efforts. Scout troops place free standing flags like soldiers on duty in many a neighborhood reminding us how blessed we are.

Standing, saluting and honoring the flag is something to be proud of during parades, sports events & such. I’m reading Flags of our Fathers by James Bradley and reliving, appreciating & loving every minute.

My dad’s a vet having served in the U.S Navy and in the American Legion as a civilian honoring other vets. All four boys in his family served in World War II making his parents proud. He was an 18 year old drop out when joining up, but learned much from the rigors of his military experience. As a teen I barely fit into his fatigues, trying to visualize training and fighting on a ship in the Pacific.

I nearly cried as the Statue of Liberty came into view for the first time a few years ago ferrying across the bay. I plan to visit this monument to freedom soon. But for today, I’ll get my flag out, slip into its hook and fly it proudly because, “I’m proud to be an American.”

No comments:

Post a Comment