Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thur-35 Years: That's a Long Time


That's how long I've been a mother, 35 years. I remember the event vividly, July 9, 1974, as if it happened last week. Attending the birthing classes, swollen feet, unbearably hot summer days in a recliner waiting for what seemed like an eternity are still fresh. Wondering what it would be like to be a mother and the son we'd have, as we followed in the footsteps of my husbands older brothers. I waddled like a duck, bought second hand baby furniture and sewed many cute knit rompers.

A younger cousin was expecting also. We teased who would have the first great grandson. She beat by twelve hours with a boy & I had a girl. We discovered a high school chum was at the hospital with her first child, just down the hall from us. Our husbands kept us aprised of each others progress. She labored much longer.

Jennifer Delight, named for a great grandmother, was born at 11:15 am, weighing 7lbs 15 oz. She surprised the entire family. Four of Allan's siblings had started with a son first. Eight boys & two girls was the tally, but who was counting? I was overjoyed to have a beautiful girl complete with a generous sprinkling of brown hair and chubby cheeks.

She still has the brown hair & chubby cheeks along with three boys of her own & is now expecting a girl herself. These are my feelings through the years:
1. There's extreme joy at being a mother, but terrific challenges as well.
2. Her ravenous appetite & ideas wore me out then & still does today.
3. Fast friends at first are fast friends forever, even with blips in the middle.
4. It definitely changes your life forever, but worth every challenging minute.

Sometimes I had my doubts. Thanks Jenn for letting me learn to be a mom first, with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment