Monday, July 20, 2009

Sunday: Sweet Sounds of Summer


I attended the Tabernacle Choir broadcast today, enjoying every minute of their melodious songs. A favorite,"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" took me back to my youth, playing in the corn fields, a child's dreams of Oz & rainbows.

Trickling sounds from a neighbor's yard pond or our fountain help bring peace.
In the afternoon a short summer storm passed by leaving everything fresh & briefly cool. Listening to the raindrops on pavement & wind rushing through the trees brought anticipation.

Last week I was awakened early one quiet morning through an open window as I heard a bird sing, 'high,low' 'high,low'. I used this same whistle years ago, attempting to locate my children when we were shopping. Instead of hollering for them, I made the sing song bird call trying to get their attention. I'm sure they still remember it.

Other telltale summer sounds I've heard this week are: happy children's voices on my neighbor's trampoline, a motorcycle as a driver cruises by, swimming pool splashes in a contest to see whose is the biggest, the 'hey batter, batter' at my grand daughter's ball game and the thump thump of a jogger passing me on a morning walk.

I almost complained as the temperature crested 100', but how could I contemplating the beloved sounds only heard these sweet summer days. SAVOR them, because they won't last long.

No comments:

Post a Comment