Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wed.-Watch Your (Thermostat) Butt


Central air was recently installed, but you better believe I monitor the temperature closely, since I pay the electric bill. Al on the other hand turns it down to 70’. Yeah, in his dreams, I think, pressing the control up to 75’. At night I turn it off & open key windows for a (free) gentle breeze to waft through.

Watering the yard is no different. I’m grateful for rain so I can turn off the timers for a few days, holding the usage at bay. I cringe, seeing sprinklers on during a good storm or open my bill to triple digit fees. I came home on a hot summer day a few years ago to find the hose was left on full throttle for ten plus hours after a nephew needed a drink of water. Burning mad can’t describe my feelings then.

I thanked the phone company for calling me after our cell number heist raised a red flag to them, asking if we knew our bill was $2000+ with calls to California. Offering to remove the charges, I blessed the copper line they spoke on.

Vigilante meets run away utility bill use. That would be me.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep our thermostat at 75' and luckily am up in the middle of the night to open the windows when the temperature outside is lower. Luckily for the past 4.5 years we have lived in a 720 sq ft lower level apartment (nice in the summer, not so nice in the winter). We are happy to soon be living in a larger place, but will probably curse the utility bills.

    ReplyDelete