Monday, November 2, 2009

Mon-Migration, A Many Feathered Thing




Few things give us a bond with nature more than birds. Their merry song, flight friendly patterns & flitting about daily, amaze me. A friend once asked what bird I’d choose to be. An eagle was her desire, to be admired by all. I'd be a soaring hawk high above the earth.

‘I pray to the birds-because they remind me of what I love rather than what I fear.’ Terry Tempest Willams

Last week swarms of birds settled then separated into groups. Watching their ebb & flow was fascinating. Canada Geese squawked while taking flight from a nearby golf course to forage elsewhere. Gazing at their V formation as they soared overhead, I wanted to join the gang. Fast flyers, they once overtook my 35 mph commute to work zooming past me in the sky.

A great grey heron stood in the center of the river as I walked the trail last week without a camera. Is this is layover site before heading further south? Still on the river the other day, I couldn't keep my eyes off the rare beauty, snapping some photos this time.

Years ago while returning in late September from taking my oldest to Snow College, several hours away, flock upon flock of geese flew past me headed toward warmer climates. It was definitely a well traveled route for fowls & weekend warriors. They're passing through that area now to winter in the Gulf Coast, Mexican Riviera and points in between. Where do I hop aboard? Wait, that’s a self achieved 1000+ mile journey, maybe not.

To be human is to breathe with the rhythm of life; to recognize a kinship with all of life.’ DavidKrieger

No comments:

Post a Comment