Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tues: My Trash Is a Treasure to Others



This week is our DI Drive, collecting everthing I'm willing to toss. What a great idea to do before the holidays are suffocating us, when we can think clearly. I need my kids to help me, as they would toss so much more than I can. Some mementos have such a hold of past memories on me, it's impossible to part with.

I'll go in each room & say to myself you have to fill this bag, no buts about it. A few things get the boot. Coming from a 'can't part with anything' mom, it's a battle every time. It feels so liberating to do the deed. Thanks to other charities that call on a monthly basis, the job gets easier. I tell them 'yes' every time. Even getting rid a one bag of stuff is better than nothing. Keep in mind someone else can use it or may need it. Be generous.

The best part of dejunking is knowing you can invite guests over without spending hours trying to 'spruce up', if you get my meaning. As a youth I was too ashamed to have friends over, due to my cluttered home. I'm the only one who can change that, but have to work at it everyday to make it happen. I found by setting the goal of doing the job first, then reward myself with 15-30 minutes of pleasure afterward really works.

Our trash is definitely others treasures. I have to admit shopping these second hand stores monthly to pick up a vase, trinket, book or sometimes just to browse is satisfying. Some say it's good to ask ourselves: "Do I need this? Would I use it?" Too much of a good thing is just that, Too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment