Monday, November 30, 2009

Mon: Keep My Mouth Shut



"Angry words oh let them never, from the mouth unbridled slip."

BYU beat U of U in the annual football rivalry game on Saturday. It's great for the winners, not so much for the opposing team. When they interviewed a major player from BYU, he spouted angry & hateful words about Utah. I was surprised to hear him say he hated everything about them, their school, team, people and all. Last year his family had been treated poorly by Utah fans, which was the main culprit for such bad feelings. Today this player issued an apology for his remarks.

More often than not in the heat of the moment, many say what's felt in their hearts regretting it later. I've fallen into the trap myself, fortunately not on TV. Satan & his helpers relish when we bad mouth others. We need built in alarms to seal our mouths, when the temptation to talk about people starts bubbling up & out.

This weekend three of my neices visited. What fun it was to talk about their lives, school, movies & Grandma. They got an ear full about how interesting she can be. Afterward, I regretted blabbing away at my perception of her faults. Why can't I keep my mouth shut? When will I get smart & avoid those pitfalls?

We all have hangups & strengths, why highlight the ones we're trying to overcome? Reminds me of the beam in my eye comparing her mote.

No comments:

Post a Comment