Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood



One especially discouraging morning when the laundry was piled higher than a fourth grader, our oldest child was picking on her siblings, breakfast was burned black and the kids missed the school bus, I felt hopeless. Was there any end to my ‘buried in little people life’? I didn’t think so. Often my sister, Paula, came by & saved me from my woes.

My favorite high school song kept going through my mind, ‘Leaving on a Jet Plane’. "I’m leaving on a jet plane. Don’t know when I’ll be back again. Oh, babe (baby) I hate to go." But where would I go. Who would care for my angels and love them as much as I did? No one! Therefore, I stayed and stayed and stayed.

I stayed because at that moment, Mr. Roger's show was on the TV. I heard him singing his signature song, “It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood’. Finishing up, he said, “Won’t you be my neighbor?" At least someone cared.

A sweet feeling came over me, that it really was a beautiful day and what was I crying about? I was a loved wife, healthy mom, lucky American, blessed Mormon, child of God and much, much more. I tried to forget the small stuff & focus on the beauty. To this day I thank Mr. Fred Rogers for helping me overcome the gloomies.

No comments:

Post a Comment