Monday, January 19, 2009

Memories on a Monday Morning- Mush


I have gone back to basics by eating hot cereal twice a week.
Not only is it healthy but inexpensive. Life is easier because, I don’t have to think about what to fix on Mondays & Thursdays anymore. Did I mention it’s mush? I’ve been on a 35 year hiatus from it.

We had mush everyday of my life until I got married, except on Sundays, we had cold cereal. Oh, how I loved cold cereal. In the beginning it was oatmeal, which was gagged down with every spoonful. At age five, I was often grounded to the table until my bowl was empty. Simple solution, just dump the mush under a loaf of bread or something else. Wah la! Problem solved. I was spanked or had to clean the mess up when it was discovered. ‘Please, no more oatmeal’, I plead, 'anything but that.'

Scanning hot cereal options at the store, Mom found a replacement. Cracked wheat Roman Meal was the solution. I liked it for several years, then grew tired of the same old thing. The TV ads were convincingly touting a new cereal called, Malto Meal. Promising our mom that we would love it, she purchased a box. We hated it. From then on it was Roman Meal. After leaving the nest I avoided hot cereal all together, opting for pancakes, eggs, muffins, hash browns & so on.

With a slowing economy and my own budget cuts, I'm ready for an old fashioned breakfast again. I tried it and liked it. Here is the recipe for you to enjoy also.

Hot Cereal with a Flair Serves 2
2/3 Cup cracked 9 grain or wheat cereal. (in the health foods or bulk)
1/4 apple chopped
6 whole almonds chopped or 1T slivered almonds
Bring 2 1/4 cups water to boil w/1/2 tsp salt, stir as you pour in cereal.
Add apple & almonds.
Turn heat to medium & cook uncovered for 12 minutes.
Dish into bowls, sprinkle w/brown sugar and add milk if desired. YUMMY.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel anout the cereal. My parents served us hot cereal every day in the winter months.

    ReplyDelete