Sunday, January 18, 2009

Savor Sundays


Sundays I want to savor with the Savior the sweet feelings of love and peace as I seek the Spirit. All week long we fill our minds with worldy stuff. Why not take a Sunday break. By focusing on the right things, my life has been blessed for good.

This is why. Ten years ago I had a chance to go to a Garth Brooks concert in town. After waiting in line for hours, my daughter got the only tickets that were left. They were for a Sunday performance. I thought long and hard about going, because I knew it was breaking the Sabbath, but I went anyway thinking this was my only chance. I'd repent later. I hated the show because it was too loud, crowded, a commandment breaker and I saw many young people that I knew. They saw me, too. Feeling awful about making the wrong choice and disappointing the Lord, I worked hard at making Sundays special. That year proved to be full of mishaps that I attributed to my behavior as a true daughter of God. Who knows what those youth thought of me.

Here are a few ideas I find helpful in making the most of Sundays:
1. Dedicate the day to the Lord. Do things that will keep your thoughts on Him.
2. Read scriptures, lessons & Church magazines/books only. Set the stage for Him.
3. Limit TV, computer & activities to a minimum unless they 'Come unto Him'.
4. Write your life history, letters, daily journal, etc. Use this time to make your record or keep the lines open with long lost family & friends.
5. Visit or call family as you enjoy getting closer & catching up on their news.
6. Go to church and feel of the Spirit and partake of the sacrament. Fill your buckets as you find yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment