Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday: Musings on Motherhood


Abraham Lincoln said, “All that I am, I owe to my dear mother.”
I love Lincoln’s declaration giving such credit to his mother who died when he was a young boy.

From the moment we come into this world until we spread our wings, our mothers are shaping and molding our lives preparing us for that time. I remember counting the years I had left before my youngest left home realizing my opportunities for teaching were coming to an end. Sad and happy mingle as we prepare to let go, wishing time could stand still for just a little longer.

We ask ourselves: Did I give them everything possible to succeed, fly high, bear disappointment and so on? What more could I have done? For twenty-nine years a child was depending on me to feed, love, encourage, pick up after and worry about. Whether they were one day old or twenty four years old, it was my responsibility to be there in tough, sad or joyful times. Thank you, my wonderful children for coming into our home and letting me be your MOM. I love each of you very much.

Now, just call me 'Consultant Mother'. I’m enjoying this part-time position.

No comments:

Post a Comment