Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tuesday-Trees I've Tried Out


I spied this craggy old tree one afternoon walk on the Jordan River Parkway & decided it needed some attention. It's been home to many birds, still sporting a manmade nest. With it's dead top and living bottom, life has been hard but this old guy has endured drawing its nourishment from the river.

Trees and I go way back to my youth, when my siblings & I spent many a day under the 'Big Tree' (a Poplar about 75ft? tall) near my home in Bluffdale. It stood over the intersection of two main ditches with a water area large enough to make a 8' plastic pool jealous. We caught many a frog, water skeeters and trouble from Mom for not coming home there. Huts, friends and the Crane kids took up residence on this shady summer spot, now buried under a road.

Most trees have their leaves now as the we enjoy the beauty of green covering the valley floor. My neighbor has huge Chinese Elms who annually dump their seeds all over my porch, yard, gutters and garden. I'm used to it by now. The year we planted our front lawn, we had more trees growing than blades of grass. Buckets full are in my trash, after spending the evening shoveling them up.

What a story these trees could tell if they could talk, like how they got their start and who befriended them for a summer, year or lifetime. How many of you had your very own 'Big Tree'? Tell us about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment