Monday, August 17, 2009

Mon_Master Gardener Makes Good on Promise


In May when I was ready to plant a garden, my 8x12 roadbase hard soil rejected my attempts to sow seeds. Green thumb neighbors were harvesting lettuce by then. Convincing Allan to visit their gardens, I promised if he would build a grow box, the veggies would come.

Using old boards, pvc pipe and a $75 worth of mulch & 'good' soil from the nursery, he did his part. I begged seeds from my 'master gardener' friends & planted away. Three kinds of lettuce, tomatoes & cukes, beans, zucchini, peppers & carrots happily call the backyard home, fulfillng my part of the bargain. I'm learning to be a garden variety cheer leader, chanting each plant to grow, Grow, GROW!!!

The best part is the daily salads & healthy meals we enjoy from the earth. Maybe some day I'll be a master gardener, like my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment