Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thur-Full Throttle Thrill

With summer at full throttle, I'm thinking about running a race. A few years ago I ran in the Deseret News 10k. Scared silly with excitement, I couldn't remember my name & used the potty three times in a row. My niece Katie, joined me. It's great to be with someone when the gun goes off. But, with her energy and slim body, she quickly blew past me within two minutes or less. She was there to test her skills with the best of them.

Running full throttle with thousands of racers through the streets of Salt Lake, was thrilling. I would jog only on the down hill during the race, then I could walk awhile. During my training for the 10k, four miles was a best effort. As luck would have it, all but the last half mile was a gentle downward slope, so I ran all the way to the red faced, sweaty end.

Finishing alive was my only goal, time didn't matter. Family, friends & my mom's cheer from her shaded lawn chair sideline spot, boosted me through the last 500 yards. Worn but sticking to the plan, I jogged through the chute. My wish came true. The race was completed, in exactly one hour. Yeah!! Katie's was half that.

Just as soon as she's ready to start training, I'm there! We can do it together, with her only a mile away. I think I'll start by jogging to her house. Please have some water for me. October would be a great time to do a 5 or 10k.
Are you game?

No comments:

Post a Comment