Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sat: Savor Summer's Abundance


I long for summer dishes of home grown fruits & veggies. I’m in awe watching them go from sprout to abundantly hanging from trees, vines and bushes. Happiness reigns when I find a stash left at my door by a do-gooder. I love them for it. I become a smoocher, offering up other’s surplus to my open arms, with permission of course.

Biting into a red/yellow ripe tomato or cucumber, not force fed by some greenhouse from who knows where, is refreshing. Peaches, apples & pears growing, then changing from green to ripe is rewarding. A steamed dish of fresh green beans or carrots just out of the garden is ‘to die’ for, in my recipe book.

The ‘Foot Pyramid’ used to say 4 fruits & vegetables, now it’s 5 or more. Eat all you want to make up for the times you skipped them. The best part is no weight gain, just better health & energy. You’ll never hear your mom say, “Eat your vegetables!” again. That’s reward enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment