Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday: Mind Full of Music


I'm going stir crazy because of a musical I'm in for my town, South Jordan's, 150th birthday celebration. Ten days until we perform as I cram to learn my part, the songs and dances. "Oh ho! oh ho! Across the deep we go to America, upon the bounding main!" Practises are almost every night and getting more intense with threats of expulsion if we miss any. "Oh ho! oh ho! A lucky wind will blow, and life will never be the same again."

Evey waking moment when I'm not engaged with work or conversation, one of the song phrases flashes through my mind as I try to cement them. "Over Jordan & under the hill, flowin' water, rich land to till."

"We're starting over and this fits the bill," wakes me in the middle of the night. Music starts cranking out of my sleepy mind, like a water wheel dumping the words into my face splashing me to be alert.

Will I survive? Could this be harder than the pioneers I'm portraying? No, not even and I am proud to represent them. How thankful I am for their sacrifices, to leave their homeland coming to America with the promise of freedom.

"We've come over Jordan to follow our dreams and this is the place where we want to be!" Absolutely! Twenty plus years ago when we were searching for the perfect home for our growing family, South Jordan was the place that promised peace, safety & the place for me. I've never regretted one day of that decision.

Just like the saying, "Bloom where you're planted", may you be a part of making your town the best in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment