Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thur: The Theatre


The Curran Theater in San Francisco was my first glimse of real live acting, at Phantom of the Opera. On Broadway it was Mama Mia, then Wicked. The same week I paid $75 for the upper balcony, a friend spent $200 to see the wizardly play. It's not cheap, but real actors get paid.

There are numerous nonprofit & semi professional theaters in the metro area, where we saw Le Mis. We go whenever possible. Community, school & family theater is as much fun for a fraction of the cost. What a sacrifice the actors give, for the love of sharing the arts. Yours & my support keeps them going. Thank you and please don't ever stop or give up. I'm in awe of the talents people have and so willingly share.

I've always loved the theatre, imagining myself as the star since I was a child. Playing dress up and performing with cousins was a daily routine. At 18 I performed,
'Bette At the Baseball Game'. Fear gripped me, but the courage to perform a silly act for the audience pulled me through. I've loved the thrill of sharing this developing talent ever since.

"Over Jordan, a Place for Me" is performing this weekend. I'm Clarissa Beckstead & Mrs. Mabel Mabey. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment