Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday Fiesta-Fast Friends Forever



Some grade school chums, Paula, Trell and I got together this week, had dinner and talked about old times. Both are beautiful ladies having aged well. Paula is a dynamite gal with a smile from sea to shining sea and an attitude to match. Enduring more that her share of loved ones lost, you wouldn’t know it viewing her sunny disposition. At the age of seven, her mother died with cancer. A son was killed in a car accident at age four. Her husband died in her arms from a heart attack at 55. A sister’s illness took her at 40 and a brother was murdered at 62. Both parents recently died from old age. Her faith and love of the Lord have carried and comforted her. She is a true example of resilience.

Trell has seen more than her share of disappointment and heartache, but rises above it, turning every challenge into a blessing. When we were eight, she had many friends and garnered much attention which I wasn’t a part of, but noticed with jealousy. Saying bad and untrue things about her was my way of getting back, for not including me. Basically, I wasn’t nice by spreading rumors and such about her. In return, she could have: 1. Strike back in the same manner. 2. Ignore me. 3. Become a friend.

With wisdom beyond years, she came to me saying, “I know someone that likes you a lot and would like to be your friend. Will you be her friend?” She wouldn’t tell me the person’s name, as we discussed this ‘third’ party. In the process I got to know her. After confessing she was the person interested and wanted to be my friend, I was sucked in. We’ve been close ever since. I have a Valentine from those rocky years. Friendships go a long way in bringing happiness and love into our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen, I know this is completely random, but I was taken to your site as I subscribe to google alerts should my name show up somewhere on the web. I'm curious about your friend Trell - is this her first or last name? It's my last name and not a very common one - so like to connect. (Actually, my good friends call me Trell as well). I viewed a few of your entries and they are entertaining.

    A new internet friend
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, Thanks for the kudos. I just love to write lately and can't get enough of it. My intention is to help as well as entertain. Trell is her first name, actually. I've never met another one. Now I know two fine Trell's.

    ReplyDelete