Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thoughts on Thurs-Things, Their Just Things


It used to drive me crazy when a neighbor got a new car or couch every few years, because theirs was ‘worn out’. I’d look at my sixteen year old couch, carpet and such with a bit of envy, wishing we could get new, too. Many of my clothes are purchased at ultra clearance or the second hand store. No, their not my first choice but who can afford to pay premium these days. I’m elated when getting those store coupons in the mail for $10 with any purchase and no minimum. With appreciation I wear that cute Christmas blouse costing me only $2.30. Thank you, retailer for the gift.

A decade or so ago we were blessed to receive a large inheritance from family. Like kids in a candy store we bought a new car, jet skis, four wheelers and more. Living the high life was fun for awhile. It’s all gone now, not working, pushed aside or replaced. If you can afford it go for it, if you can’t pass it up.

Better yet, looking elsewhere to fulfill your appetite may be the best choice. 2 Nephi 9: 51 says: Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy. Hearken diligently unto me, and remember the words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul delight in fatness.

We can spend a lifetime amassing things, accumulating wealth and slaving away to pay for it or be satisfied with what the Lord provides for us. “Consider the lilies of the field…” and be grateful we know Him, while ‘laying up for ourselves treasures in heaven.’

No comments:

Post a Comment