Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tuesdays-Tried & True: Treasures


Our greatest treasures are our loved ones. The gifts we receive from them that we keep over the years also become treasured, because of the memories they invoke when we see them.

For Valentine's one year my mother gave my sister, Sandra, and I necklaces. Mine was a purple orchid in a black background (pictured)& hers was a red rose, which we cherished and have to this day. Gifts given from the knick knacks of a grand or great parent's stash after their death, hold a special place in my heart. Recipes recreated from these dear ancestors, conjure up the feelings we had while eating at their knee.

Monogramed yellow silky pillowcases rest in the same gift box, as when I received them from my Grandmother Park. I've worn out the red floral quilt and the Texas star quilt lovingly hand stitched by each grandmother from my graduation. The delicate silver watch with my name and date etched on the back from my parents reminds me of their love and support.

We keep these tokens of love not for their value, but the true feelings they represent.

No comments:

Post a Comment