Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thoughts on a Thirsty Thursday-Trust This Thief


Seven cents short at the check stand on a small transaction & not wanting to use my debit card, the clerk waved it off. I was ready to return something until he gave me the go ahead. “I’ll bring it back next time”, I said. “You can trust me.” (Don’t forget, I owe U $.07 $1 store.)

Hours later I pulled the door shut behind me headed out for my walk/run of the day realizing I'd locked myself out of the house. Oh, I can get back in through the keyless entry on the garage. It wouldn’t work, too cold. How about the deck door to the garage, it’s always opened. Locked, who did that? All exteriors locked, I tried them. No one has a key and hubby is seven miles away on a job, Yeah! I can’t disturb him. What to do?

Last time this happened was when we flew one of our college girls home from the family trip to San Diego. She had to break the kitchen window to get in. Studying that same spot, I remembered paying $45 to repair it. No, can’t afford it. Checking all the outside doors (there’six), one more time, I realized I had to think like a thief. What would a thug do?

Standing on the front porch I spied the bay side window which didn’t have a screen on it. Reaching down I pulled, surprised that it opened without any effort at all. Checking my con-artist rear and listening to see if anyone was inside (just in case), I stepped in shutting the window behind me. Yes! I attempted to lock it several times without success.

Retrieving the needed things and leaving the valuable loot, I snuck out the side door. The owners were lucky, this time. I didn't want much. Note to self: Secure the front window, don’t forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment