Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tuesdays-Tried & True: Talents


Often we are told something and have a hard time believing it until we try it ourselves. I'll share those things that I try & have found to be true on Tuesdays.

Talents: In the ‘Parable of the Talents’ the people that used their talents wisely, actually received double reward for making a better life by using them. I was skeptical of this story because I didn’t think I had been given any talents.

I didn't have the opportunity to play the piano, couldn’t carry a tune so singing was out, wasn’t interested in dance classes and quit band on the second day. You can imagine my concern as a seventeen year old, when my friends all wanted to try out for the Miss Bluffdale contest. Peer pressure got the best of me and I signed up. I was fearful of speaking in public let alone standing in front of a crowd, to convince them and five judges that I was the best of the bunch. My biggest problem was that I had no performing talent. I could bale hay, sew a dress, feed chickens and read books. Yeah, like that would go over on stage.

An idea came to me that perhaps I could give a reading. A schoolmate for the talent assembly recently performed, “Bette at the Baseball Game”. It was super funny, one only had to act dumb and memorize. I could do this. Getting the script from her, I diligently worked to present this skit.

The next hurdle was to overcome my fear of speaking in public, because I would be doing lots of it. Often because of doubt a huge lump would form in my throat, making it near impossible to talk. The night of the contest before they called my name to share my talent, I prayed for courage and all those other things I needed that very moment. I had been praying for days actually, to be able to pull it off. I knew without the Lord, I would fail.

My name was announced. Taking a deep breath, with heart pounding, dressed in a robe and phone in hand I stepped onto the stage. Concentrating on my lines and that I was Bette (not Colleen) the words came loud, clear and with enthusiasm. It was a success! Sure I made a few mistakes, but discovered that with the Lord, I could do anything. Thus began my small town acting career and a newly discovered talent.

The queen was a beautiful dark haired piano playing, singing and dancing friend of mine; but, I was the first runner up. I did it & you can too, with faith in yourself and a lot of help from the Lord. Try it, you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment